- You are a Living Historian, an actor, or a dancer and were always interested in learning about the elegant dueling weapons of the 1700's.
- You are interested in history and culture of the Enlightenment Era.
- You have begun to study smallsword and want to broaden your exposure to more advanced techniques or different styles or facets of smallsword practice.
- You would like to see some original weapons and texts close up.
- You want to test you smallsword skills against other smallsword fencers
- You want to test your smallsword skills against rapier fencers
- You fence rapier, maybe in tournaments or in the SCA, and you think smallsworders will be easy pickings.
- You want to hangout for three days with people who can froissement and not feel guilty about it.
But the American Smallsword Symposium is built on a different model. We are not an academy built on a hierarchy, or a broad but shallow sampling. Instead we are a symposium in the true sense of the word where we foster a collegial atmosphere by sharing our interests and joy in practicing the art of the smallsword. This is not to say that our instructors are second rate or can point to no accomplishments. All are experienced and most are recognized for their excellence internationally.
What we offer is big tent that is open to the rich and varied styles and techniques that were practiced in the era when a smallsword was a common side arm for the gentleman. A tent that we welcome everyone into who may have an interest in or something significant to share about the art we love and who may grow as swordspeople by the experience.
Hope to see you there.
Early Bird Discount ends 4/15/2017